Top 50 Resources on Product/Market Fit
The most important journey any new product goes through is finding product/market fit. Marc Andreessen, who popularized the term, defined it as:
Product/market fit means being in a good market with a product that can satisfy that market.
Despite sounding so simple, the majority of new products fail due to never finding this illusive fit. This fit illudes both new startups creating their very first product as it does established organizations seeking to expand their product portfolio. From Viddy to Quibi to Google Wave, we can all name famous product failures. And even more die quietly without such fanfare.
As a serial entrepreneur, I've been on a quest to learn how best to find product/market fit for each new product I build to avoid the pitfalls so many run into. In doing so, I've been collecting the very best resources on the topic for years. After reading and watching hundreds of essays, books, and videos, I wanted to share a curated collection of the very best resources I've found to help give you the best chance of finding product/market fit for your own product.
These resources cover everything from defining product/market fit, motivating it's importance, developing an experimentation culture to help you pivot towards product/market fit, measuring product/market fit, and case studies of startups own journey to product/market fit.
While they certainly won't guarantee your success, being well versed in the mental models, tools, and processes these resources offer will undoubtedly increase your chances.
- The only thing that matters - Marc Andreessen
- Why You Should Find Product-Market Fit Before Sniffing Around For Venture Money - Andy Rachleff
- 12 Things about Product-Market Fit - Tren Griffin
- Fundamentals of Product-Market Fit - Andy Sparks
- How Superhuman Built an Engine to Find Product/Market Fit - Rahul Vohra
- Using Product/Market Fit to Drive Sustainable Growth - Sean Ellis
- The Idea Maze - Chris Dixon
- Why premature scaling fails: The Traction Treadmill - Andrew Chen
- Zero to Product/Market Fit - Andrew Chen
- The Never Ending Road to Product Market Fit - Brian Balfour
- Four Fits for $100M+ Growth - Brian Balfour
- How To Build a Minimum Viable Company - Ann Miura-Ko
- Product/Market Fit: What it really means, How to Measure it, and Where to find it - Eric Jorgenson
- Product Market Fit - Marty Cagan
- Before You Grow - Sam Altman
- Experiments That Lead to Product-Market Fit - Jeff Bussgang
- 21 Solid Ways to Validate your Minimum Viable Product - Shrikant Srivastava
- Try More Things - Ev Williams
- Know Your Customers' "Jobs to Be Done" - Clayton Christensen
- Do Pivots Matter? - Steve Blank
- The Revenge of the Fat Guy - Ben Horowitz
- A New Way to Think About Product-Market Fit - Erez Druk
- Product-Market Fit is a Broken Concept. There's a Better Way. - Rand Fishkin
- A Quantitative Approach to Product Market Fit - Tribe Capital
- The Burn Multiple - David Sacks
- Casey’s Guide to Finding Product/Market Fit - Casey Winters
- The best metric for determining quantitative product market fit - Jeff Chang
- How to know if you've got product-market fit - Lenny Rachitsky
- What it feels like when you've found product-market fit - Lenny Rachitsky
- How to tell if you have product/market fit - Merci Victoria Grace
- Finding product-market fit… again! - Tido Carriero
- A Lean Alternative to a Business Plan: Documenting Your Product/Market Fit Hypotheses - Sachin Rekhi
- Finding a Compelling Product Market Fit - Andy Rachleff
- A Playbook for Achieving Product Market Fit - Dan Olsen
- The Foolproof Formula for Finding Product-Market Fit - Rahul Vohra
- The Art of Pivoting Towards Product/Market Fit - Hiten Shah
- The Real Product Market Fit - Michael Siebel
- Product-Market Fit Redefined - Ann Miura-Ko
- How to Evaluate Startup Ideas - Kevin Hale
- Timebox Your Way to Startup Product Market Fit - Garry Tan
- How to Find Product Market Fit - David Rusenko
- How to Find Product Market Fit - Peter Reinhardt
- The Hunt for Product/Market Fit - Sachin Rekhi
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany - Steve Blank
- The Lean Startup - Eric Ries
- Zero to One - Peter Thiel
- The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development - Brant Cooper and Patrick Vlaskovits
- Running Lean - Ash Maurya
- The Lean Product Playbook - Dan Olsen
- Competing Against Luck - Clayton Christensen
- Continuous Discovery Habits - Teresa Torres
- The Mom Test - Rob Fitzpatrick
Want to accelerate your product career?
I've finally distilled my 15+ years of product experience into a new course designed to help PMs master their craft. Join us for the Spring '23 cohort of Mastering Product Management.
Are you building a new product?
Learn how to leverage the Deliberate Startup methodology, a modern approach to finding product/market fit. Join us for the Spring '23 cohort of Finding Product/Market Fit.
Enjoyed this essay?
Get my monthly essays on product management & entrepreneurship delivered to your inbox.
Feb 17, 2022